Worcester St Johns Cycling Club was founded in 1888 to promote and encourage all aspects of cycling in Worcester. That is still our aim.
No one aspect of cycling is promoted at the expense of any other, our members are active in Cycle touring, club runs, track racing, Time Trials, Road Racing and ultra distance events. We also have a very active social side that encourages participation in club runs and club nights. We cater for all levels of ability from the novice to the experienced and all ages.
The Club provides a full calendar of racing events on the road through our affiliations to the National bodies and during the summer we promote weekly evening time trials on local courses over distances of 5,10,19.5 and 25 miles. At the weekends, members ride club runs, sportives, races and open events of varying distances.
Our record of achievement is frequently reported in the local press. Worcester St Johns riders are in the thick of the action on local courses and in open events – our Racing Secretary who will be pleased to provide any further information or guidance.
Our most popular activities, however are weekly club runs. Members meet on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays for rides of varying speeds and distances (see below for more details).
Worcester St Johns CC Sunday Club Run
Every Sunday, regardless of weather, we meet at the Worcester Bridge (New Rd side) at 8 am. The rides are typically 50/60 miles and last around 3 hours (average speed 17mph). Ride routes are posted on our Facebook group page in advance and are available to download as a GPS via the Worcester St Johns Cycling Club Garmin Connect site.
The main WSJCC club ride is every Sunday at 9.30 am from outside the Premier Inn at Worcester Bridge.
- The average speed is about 15 mph over sometimes flat, sometimes hilly routes.
- There is always a café stop after 30 miles followed by a 20 mile ride home.
- This is a training ride for some and a social ride for others but you should be able to ride for 50 miles at 15 mph to participate. Everyone is welcome to come along and start the ride. Less fit riders will need to be prepared to take a short route home until they are able to do the whole ride. There will often be another rider prepared to guide you home.
- Ride destinations and routes are usually announced on our Facebook group page. If no specific ride has been organised those who arrive at the start will decide a route and destination on the day.
- In winter we expect riders to have full mudguards out of respect for riders behind them and the café’s seats we sit on.
- Riders should carry a spare inner tube or puncture repair kit and pump, money for the café, racing cape and a drink to keep hydrated.
- The riders travel in formation (two-abreast), singling out as necessary. Usually there will be an experienced rider who can help beginners to practise group riding skills in order to retain group formation. On longer hills the group may split up, but will regroup at the top.
- Please let someone on the ride know when you arrive if it is your first club run.
- The Sunday club ride is a non-competitive ride and all riders who join the ride should be familiar with Club Cycling Etiquette in the Worcester St Johns Cycling Club Handbook
Worcester St John CC Saturday Morning Steady Social Rides
• (Full) Water bottles
• Food (banana, cereal bar etc.)
• Pump and spare inner tube